Here’s another quick and yummy meal that you can bring to the table in a few minutes. Serve for lunch or dinner or even as an after school snack.
It honestly took me less than 20 minutes to get on the table with available ingredients in my kitchen. And that last point is the big time saver. I usually think through what I have at hand and cook around what I have rather than run to the store first. It’s really more a salad than anything else. You could make beans from scratch or try the cowboy beans recipe.
Vegetarian Tacos with mango
Make tadka and spices as usual when making lemon rice. Add a handful of roasted Virginia peanuts at the end and sauté for a minute. Then add a handful of fresh cranberries and sauté them for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix with the rice and enjoy.
- Refried Beans – 1 can (Trader Joes)
- Taco Shells – 6 – 8 warmed in the oven
- Romaine Lettuce pieces – 2 cups
- Chopped cilantro – 1 bunch
- Sour Cream or Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Diced tomatoes – 1/2 cup
- Cucumber slices/ diced – 1/2 cup
- Unripe mango diced – 1/2 cup
- Shredded Cheese – 1/2 cup
- Fresh Lime – 1
- Balsamic Vinegar – 2 tbs
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Tabasco Sauce – to taste
- Heat the refried beans in a pan – if you like you can sauté onions and jalapenos and some oregano to add flavor. But I find the Trader Joe’s can to be quite good without embellishment.
- Toss the romaine with fresh lime, chopped cilantro and balsamic vinegar. EVOO is optional
- Dice or slice cucumber and mango and douse with fresh lime
- Diced tomatoes with fresh pepper and some fresh or dried seasoning (sage, marjoram, basil)
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Shredded vegetarian cheese
Serve the tacos in a platter with the ingredients on the side and let your guests fix their own. Start with a spoon of beans and then add cheese, cucumber, mango, tomatoes and lettuce and a dash of Tabasco. Enjoy! Allow 3 – 4 tacos per guest.