- Use large apples and prepare them quickly before the apples begin to darken.
- Make sure you have all the other ingredients prepared before peeling the apples.
- If you do not have asafoetida pieces use powder but increase the quantity by one tsp.
- Use light sesame oil.
- Do not use the dark toasted sesame oil that you get in Chinese or Japanese markets.
Granny Smith Goes To Heaven
- Granny Smith apples grated – 12
- Pink Lady Apples grated – 2
- Thai Chillies – 12
- Kosher Salt – 14 tsp
- Light sesame oil – 1 cup
- Canola Oil – 3 cups
- Black mustard seed – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds roasted – 2 tsp
- Dried Chili – 6
- Ground turmeric – 4 tsp
- Coarse chili powder – 12 tsp
- Asafoetida powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar or jaggery – 2 tbsp
- Heat a small cast iron pan on the stove and dry roast the fenugreek seeds. Stir constantly until the seeds begin to splutter and spin and turn dark brown. Remove from heat when you see a light smoke and immediately transfer the roasted seeds to a cup. Allow them to cool and then grind them to a coarse powder using a mortar and pestle or a small electric grinder.
- Peel and core the apples and grate them coarsely using a hand-held grater or a Molinex grater. The coarser the shreds the more texture you will have in the final product.
- Slice the Serrano or Thai Peppers lengthwise into inch long pieces
- Heat the sesame oil in a large heavy bottom 6 quart sauté pan
- Add mustard seeds and allow to spLutter for a few seconds
- Add dried chilies broken into large pieces and stir
- Add the turmeric and asafoetida. As soon as they are fried add the fenugreek powder and all the other dry ingredients and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the cut ingredients and heat over a medium flame while stirring gently and frequently until the mix comes to a boil.
- Add sugar and stir in.
- Continue stirring constantly until the apple juice begins to thicken and the entire mixture gets to a jam like consistency.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool uncovered.
- Spoon into canning bottles.
- Send a jar or two to Shankar