My grandmother would always be experimenting in the kitchen with leftovers; trying to come up with variation to make unassuming leftovers seem more appetizing . She would suddenly emerge from the kitchen with her latest creation in her hands and pop it into the mouth of the nearest grandchild. Some of this must have rubbed off on me. I made a strange vegetable vada for my daughter and she loved it.
Vegetable Medu Vada
Add fresh herbs and spices to left over urad dal paste (ground earlier for making idles). Mix with a few diced vegetables of your choice and deep fry.
- Ground urad dal paste – 1 cup
- Diced seeet pepper – 2 tbs
- Fresh Minced ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves (minced) – 1 tsp
- Fresh minced cilantro – 1 tsp
- minced serrano pepper – 1 tsp
- fresh ground pepper –
- Salt – to taste
- Canola or other frying oil – 3 cups
- Potato slices – 1 cup
- Add fresh herbs and spices and diced vegetables of your choice to a cup of left over urad batter.
- Heat frying oil in a wok.
- Dip thick slices of precooked potatoes in the batter and drop in the the oil.
- Fry, turning once, till they are golden brown.
- Serve with vegetable chutney and some fresh relish. Everything tastes better with olives.