There are times when the refrigerator gets full of vegetable and I need to use them up when they are still fresh. Today was one of those days. I had 3/4 of a head of a fresh, firm, organic cauliflower and some fingerling potatoes. I also had an assortment of other vegetables and herbs. I even had a full pineapple which I had sliced earlier but that would have been too much. I don’t think even my long-suffering neighbors could have eaten pineapple soup.
Spicy cream of cauliflower soup with ginger
- Vegetable oil or ghee – 4 tbs
- Crushed chili flakes – 1/4 tsp
- Ground turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Herbs de Provence – 1/4 tsp
- Paprika – 1/4 tsp
- Dried Shallots – 1 tbs
- Sweet Onion Chopped – 1 medium
- Chopped Sweet Peppers – 1 cup
- Baby carrots – 1/2 cup
- Baby kale and other greens – 1 cup
- Fresh minced ginger – 1 tsp
- Boiled small potatoes – 1/2 lb
- Cauliflower – 3/4 head
- Fresh mint and cilantro minced – 1 tbs
- Milk /cream (optional) – 1/3 cup
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
Sauté the onions and the dry ingredients in a large pot and add the ginger and carrots and peppers and sauté till they just begin to caramelize. Add boiled or raw chopped potatoes and cauliflower. Add the kale and any other vegetables you would like to throw in. Add the fresh herbs.
Cover with hot water and some salt. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 10 – 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and purée with a wand. Stir in some milk or cream (optional) and adjust the salt as needed.